Cemetery explorers should follow these simple rules of etiquette when visiting cemeteries:
• Visit cemeteries only during posted open hours.
• Be considerate of others. If a funeral is in progress or people are visiting a grave, move to another section of the cemetery.
• Do not stand, sit or lean against monuments. No matter how sturdy they may seem, they may fall or shift.
• When you see trash, pick it up.
• If a stone has fallen, do not move it to another location (i.e. against a fence or nearby tree). It may be the only record of the grave’s location.
• Ask permission from the cemetery office before doing a gravestone rubbing; they may not be allowed.
• Follow all posted cemetery rules.
• If dogs are allowed on the grounds, clean up after your pet. Do not let your pet run free.
• Use respectful language and be considerate of others.